Saturday, October 13, 2007

Fruit Flies

Fruit Flies

I have lots of fruit flies because I love fruit. The flies seem to be the unwanted guests. I have found a way to control them.

Take a clear colored plastic water container that this new generation seems to be filling the landfill with these days. Cut the top off and place a couple grapes, a banana pealing, and a pit or two into the container. Then make a funnel like out of stiff paper with a small hole at the bottom and wide opening at the top. Place the funnel in the container so that it is at least an inch away from the collection of fruit. Then seal the top off so that they can go into the wide opening but cannot get out the under side of the funnel. For some reason, the flies can go down through the little hole but they are not smart enough to come out through that same hole.

I also use a vase instead of plastic water container. My vase has a long neck and I can make a neater looking fly trap.

It is so much fun to watch the flies. I some times get a dozen in one day. Actually, it is as much fun watching them fly around as to watch goldfish swim. I usually take my fly trap out doors and let them go free. It sure helps get rid of them from my room. I am a great fruit eater because I need to eat something before taking some of my many pills before I retire.

Have fun catching flies!

No comments: