Friday, May 11, 2007

I remember Mother

The oldest memory I have of my mother was when she found me in the grove near the house when I was just less than two years of age. I was cold, wet and very glad mom found me because I was lost in the grove.

My mother was a large lady, but not a fat lady. She was beautiful in spite of a scar that she had by her mouth from a horse that bit her when she was a child.

When I was about 4 years old I remember mom sewing me a red gingham dress. I watch her lay the pattern out. She was extremely careful so the pieces were straight with the material. She carefully pinned and cut then sewed. I sat with my chin resting on the sewing machine as she sewed away. I still remember the sleeves; they puffed up and were so cute.

We moved and it was time for me to start school. We lived a mile and half from school. Mom fixed my straight blond hair with a braid tied up in a circle on one side of my head so as not to have my hair in my eyes. She let me wear my nice dress and sent me off to meet my father who had started chores at the neighbors place, a half-mile down the road, and he was going to walk with me the rest of the way to school, which was about a mile. I have a picture that the neighbor lady took of me that day.

I got a carbuncle type boil on my leg and I could not go to school because I had to keep my leg up according to my grandmother. Mom had all she could do to take care of this situation. She would often have grandma look at it and put a mixture of egg and flour to draw the infection out of my leg. I missed a lot of school that year and I still have the scar.

Every night, Mom led the rosary. The rosary hung on the speaker of the telephone during the day. The older children had to kneel, the younger ones could sit. I was the oldest so I had to kneel up straight. I think I was supposed to set an example for the rest.

Mom also saw to it that we learned our catechism. In those days, we memorized the answers to the questions. I was good at memorization, but I couldn’t read so mom read the questions and I recited the answers. I once won a prize for knowing my lesson and my mom framed it. It was a picture of an angel walking with a child over a bridge. That picture moved from house to house as we moved. We had summer school with the Sisters. When the movie “Song of Bernadette” was showing the Sisters arranged for a farmer with a big cattle truck to take us to the Movie. My mother rode in the truck with us kids. Not every mom would do that.

Mom always had a sandwich ready for us to eat when we came home from school. More often than not it was fresh bread with butter and homemade jam. Mom made wonderful plum, apple, and strawberry jam also choke cherry jelly. As we grew older she would give us dried beef on our fresh bread for our after school snack. She always asked us what we learned that day. She did not go to high school; I realized later she was learning from us.

Mom loved flowers and she had a victory garden of flowers in front of the house, enclosed by sidewalk and a short picket fence, from the two entrances of the house. I believe that little V shape garden is still there. At least it was there a decade or so ago when Dad and I went sight seeing. I remember the owner of the house always liked to see mom’s flowers when in full bloom.

I often helped mom rake the leaves and branches in the spring. My siblings didn’t care for that job and I loved it because I got to be with my mom and I had her all to myself. We would make a bond fire after wards.

I also helped pitch hay. That was a job that my brother, mom and I often did together. I can’t say that I liked that job. We all worked far beyond our capacity.

When mom, dad and I were sight seeing we went by the house with the grove and I said I remember when I was lost in that grove. My mom could hardly believe her ears when I said that I remembered that grove.

Mom was the healthy one and we were taken back when she was diagnosed with cancer. The cancer traveled fast. One summer I drove her daily to Sioux Falls for radiation treatments. The treatment cured the cancer in that spot but moved on to another spot. Mom was happiest working and she didn’t want anymore of this laying around sick. She told the doctor to forget about more treatments, just give her pain relief medicine.

I remember the last time we said the rosary together. This time I lead the rosary. She was in McKennan Hospital and I came to be with her. We said a decade and then rested, said the next decade and then rested, this went on until we were done and then she said she was ready to go and hoped I would finish the afghan that she had started for my nephew, she thought my tension would be the most like hers and it would be a nice wedding present for him. Mom never fancied my choice of vocation, but this evening she said she thought I chose the right vocation for me. She also asked me to take good care of Dad, and then she told me to go home and rest. She died shortly afterwards. She always wanted to die alone and she got her way.

The very last time I saw my mom was seven years after she was laid to rest. She came to my room early in the morning, wearing the same clothes she was buried in. Dad was getting weaker and she told me that she was coming after Dad. This was a few days before Christmas, and I remember saying to her please don’t take him before Christmas. Dad perked up for the Christmas celebration, he loved family celebrations, and he died shortly after Christmas.

I have very fond memories of my parents. It is good to recall those wonderful memories even if they bring a tear or two to the eyes. I hope you can remember your mom in a loving way on this Mother’s Day.

No comments: