Friday, July 4, 2008

4th of July

Happy Fourth of July

Today we celebrate the 4th of July. It is a special day for our family because my youngest brother was born on the 3rd of July so we make a big day of it and celebrate his birthday along with the birthday of the United States of America but never with firecracker.

This day also bears much sadness because I have a little cousin who died on this day due to his playing with firecrackers. He had a belt of firecrackers wrapped around his waist and when he lit one they all went off. He ran and ran and would not stop with his parents trying to get him to stop so they could wrap him in a blanket to put out the fire. Actually, the smoke that got into his lungs is the cause of his death. He was only 5 years old at the time.

Because of this death we as children were not allowed to have firecrackers and we would rehear about this horrible death. When my brothers married and had children they decided they had given up firecrackers far too long and they would get some and put on a little home fire show for the family. Kids were allowed only sparklers and only one sparkler at a time. We had water, fire extinguisher, and sand available incase something went wrong.

The party usually started in early afternoon, with a picnic supper at about 6 o’clock and then fire works when the sun went down. The grill was on and we had wieners, hamburgers and spare ribs. Lots of potato salad, watermelon, and vegetables and of course ice cream and pop. It was a meal that the kids enjoyed.

Oh yes, denim shorts, red and/or white t-shirts were fashionable. Of course you wore a flag pin if you owned one. Flags were often the only decoration on the table unless you consider the tablecloth made of newspaper. Bug spray and fly swatters were handy accessories.

My father always checked to see if the corn was knee high before the party started, it gave the men folk something to talk about. If it was knee high he had hope of a good crop other wise not so good. Now-a-days corn can be shoulder high on the 4th. I wonder what dad would think of that if he were living today.

As I grow older I usually add going to Mass before doing any celebrating. It seems appropriate to pray for those who serve in the military and keep our country safe. I like the songs that they sing. “America or America the Beautiful or God Bless America” Remember those Old time Golden Song Books we had in school.

It is a good day to get a history lesson or two off the TV. I usually learn something. I now watch the fire works from my window sitting in my big chair. I have a perfect view of the whole thing. I usually have a friend or two join me and we much on popcorn.

My hope and prayer is that all of you enjoy the 4th in what ever way is appropriate for you.

No comments: