Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Gun Contol

Today, we continue to mourn the lost of 33 students and teachers, some of the greatest men and women America has to offer. I marvel at the students and parents who are grieving this event in the presents of the entire nation, actually the entire world, with such dignity. How the staff could pull together such a beautiful service in the afternoon of the very next day is beyond my imagination. Then to top it off the students bring together an outstanding candle light service at night in this small town of Virginia, brings tears to my eyes.

I hope that some how this event does not go down in history with out some good coming from it. The one good that I can think of is some sort of Gun Control. This Gunman truly was sick and needed help before he was allowed to buy a gun. Since we are having so much trouble with schools and guns, I suggest that gun salesmen be obliged to ask the school/schools the buyer attended if the person buying the gun is healthy mentally. Consider the VT case, the fact that the teacher concerned with his writings, went to higher ups in her school and she reported her concerned to the police some sort of doubt should be reflected in his file so that he would not be able to buy a gun as easily as he did. Even if sample writing were in his file I would think it would alert some one to not sell this guy a gun.

Another point of view, I have a friend who is a teacher’s aid and she was working with a very angry child, and this little primary student went around pretending he was shooting someone. I blame the over exposure of shooting on TV is the reason this child thinks guns is the solution to his problems. By the way the child had to be expelled. Yes, I do believe that his record should show that he has an anger management problem.

No comments: